Celebrate National Hammock Day! Who even knew this was a thing? Social distancing and pandemic-induced stress is real. I get it, we all need to stay safe, but we also need some fun and relaxation, right?
Here are 10 Pandemic-Proof ways to relax, including a few hammock-friendly options:
- Relax in a Hammock: Did you know exposure to sunlight releases serotonin, the “feel-good” hormone? So, kick back in your hammock and catch some rays for a sunny mood-booster.
- Make Art or Sing: Maybe you’re thinking “I can’t draw” or “I can’t carry a tune”. But that’s hardly the point. This is for your eyes and ears only. Tapping into your creative side is a great stress-reducer!
- Practice Self-Care: Is there anything more relaxing than yoga or a spa day? Maybe whip up a homemade facial, or strike your best downward facing dog. Pampering yourself feels good and is naturally relaxing.
- Eat a Healthy Snack: As tempting as it might be to plunge off the healthy-eating wagon, sugary treats will make you jittery and lethargic. Instead, munch on nuts, cheese, or an herbal tea, chock full of antioxidants.
- Listen to Some Tunes: Music has a calming effect on the brain, by reducing cortisol, the stress hormone. Stretch out in your hammock with a nature soundtrack, or something more upbeat if you’re in the mood for a dance party!
- Take a Walk or Create Movement: releases endorphins which can improve mood and create a natural euphoria. So, does wine btw…just sayin’.
- Soak in a Bubble Bath: Technically known as hydrotherapy, a hot shower or bath can calm tense muscles and release tension. Sooo relaxing!
- Organize Something: It might sound weird, but organizing your home or workspace can reduce anxiety. When everything’s in its place, you feel more in control. Some people say cleaning is their meditation!
- Plan a Zoom Party: Are you missing your family or BFF? Set a virtual date for cocktails or to watch your favorite TV show together. Laughing and silliness is one of the BEST relaxation techniques.
- Indulge in Retail Therapy: In your hammock. Why the heck not? Grab an icy beverage, your mobile device, and shop for a new pair of shoes, some sexy jewelry or a fresh new fragrance.
Have fun with any or preferably all of these techniques, but most importantly, DON’T feel guilty about relaxing… you deserve it!